The Fritz Farm Youth Gardening Program (FFYGP) is a non-profit organisation with two objectives:
- To teach our youth about growing your own food, responsibility and social values and to reconnect them and their families to the source of the food they eat in a world of supermarkets, international food transport and heavily industrialized farming practices.
- To be able to provide fresh, locally grown produce to nearby food banks, meals-on-wheels and similar non-profit, socially responsible, organisations that are in need of such food.
Baie D’Urfé is home to many talented gardeners who have been growing their own fruits and vegetables for years. Our program aims to connect the veteran gardeners of the town with our youth through the means of teaching, demonstrating and hands-on practice. Through these means they will become familiar with some of the skills needed to provide their own food for their own families in future years.
The produce we grow is harvested throughout the summer and fall. A portion may be sold in order to raise necessary funds to sustain our programs. The bulk of our crops is donated to local food banks and similar non-profit and charitable organisations in the area.
We wish to Thank the Town Council of Baie D’Urfe for believing in this program and for providing the land at Fritz Farm, Mike Bleho from the McGill University Horticultural Center ,Carl and Shane Storsater from C.S.E. Enterprises and all the other volunteers that came out to help us !
The work has just started and we are going to need your help. Those of you interested in passing on your knowledge about gardening, getting some fresh air and enjoying the beautiful view of the lake, or just curious about the program, please let us know at email@example.com.
Who benefits from our crops?
Most of the vegetable we grow are donated to local food banks , good causes or charities such as the following…
West Island Volunteer Bureau , Meals on Wheels , Ste Anne de Bellevue Branch www.cabvwi.org
Services Communautaires On Rock Community Services www.onrock.org
West Island Mission http://www.westviewlife.org/#/missions/west-island-mission
St Columba by the Lake Food Ministry www.stcolumba.ca
West Island Assistance Fund www.fdoi.org
We have also sold some produce in our local Provigo store as a fund-raiser
Who is in charge?
- President : Robert Brown
- Vice-President : Brian Manning
- Treasurer : Richard Gregson
- Volunteer Coordinator : Bill Wexler
- Produce Delivery: Stefan and Claudia Thierry
- Planting & Maintenance: Everyone
- Website management and general electronica : Richard Gregson